“One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.”
“USB Printer not recognized or not printing”
“USB Storage device cannot be recognized or ejected through “Safely Remove” option”
“Unrecognized USB device in Device Manager”
All of us know what is the value of a USB port in our PC. But sometimes it’s become very irritating when we didn’t able to use them because of some errors. When we got such type of error messages, usually we try to insert our USB devices to other USB ports, sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn’t work. After this, you might have done uninstalling the drivers for your devices and reinstalling them. Many times we restore our PC for fixing the errors. If it also didn’t work, then what’s next?
How to Troubleshoot USB Device Error Issues
Method 1. Unplugging Power Cable
- Power off your laptop/desktop.
- Physically unplug the power cable of computers. If it’s a laptop, remove the battery too.
- Leave it disconnected for five minutes.
- Replug the desktop or reinsert the laptop battery.
- Power on the system.
Method 2. Diagnose & Solve USB problems with Windows Troubleshooter
1. Go to Control Panel, find and open “Troubleshooting”.
2. Under “Hardware and Sound” section, click “Configure a device”
3. When troubleshooter diagnosis is completed, apply all fixes prompted and then check USB functionality.
Method 3. Uninstalling Unknown USB Devices
If the above methods are not working for you, then just go for this method-
1- Open RUN command (Shortcut – Windows Logo + R) and then type “devmgmt.msc”, select OK.
2- In device manager, double-click to expand “Universal Serial Bus controllers”.
3- Attach your USB device which is not recognized with USB port.
4- You will see here an Unknown USB device (Port reset failed) with yellow mark.
6- Now restart your PC and reinstall the USB drivers again. That’s it.
7- If not working, then Uninstall all devices under Universal Serial Bus controllers one by one and reinstall.
Method 4. Change USB Power Management Setting
1. Unplug all USB devices and open Device Manager
2. By following step 1 and 2 in previous method open Universal Serial Bus controllers.
3. Double-click to “USB Root Hub”
4. Click on “Power Management”
6. Do the same things for all “USB Root Hub” devices.
7. Now close “Device Manager” and plug all your USB Devices again. And check your errored USB device.