In the 21st century, people have embraced modern technologies and so have companies or organizations. The technology has really advanced from the old days where data was stored in personal computers to a level where data is stored as a cloud or it’s virtualized. The growth in demand for its products and services comes with a lot of responsibility and accountability. Data is a very precious commodity to every organization, and there is a need to keep it very secure and private. The security measures should start from the workstations to the servers and all the way to the cloud backup. This is done to ensure that the data is stored and managed properly.
For a company or an organization, it is advisable to have a remote database administrator, to ensure that the available data is well protected from loss and corrupt hackers, and to ensure that data is easily accessible when required.
Below are some of the responsibilities of a remote database administrator such as those found in Abtech Technologies:
- To make sure that the initial installation and configuration of software such as Oracle Database and SQL Server is done effectively. In case of a new server, the DBA should manage the transfer of data from the existing system to the new one.
- To create a database backup and recovery plan. The procedures should follow the necessary steps to ensure that data is well preserved. In a case where data has been lost or a server has failed, the DBA should be able to restore the lost data by using the existing backup. A remote database administrator should be well prepared for any eventuality.
- To manage a very large databases (VLDB). This type of database may consist of an unstructured type of data such as video and sound files, images and other documents. That may demand a person with a high level of skills to manage.
- To allow or deny access to important pieces of information. The DBA should grant permission to certain users, depending on the confidentiality of the data. If the data is very confidential, only the permitted users should be allowed to access or make changes.
- To monitor the performance of the database systems. This helps to identify the part of the database that needs maintenance. When the system is somehow slow, it is the work of a DBA to make configuration changes, to improve the performance.
- Troubleshooting. If the database system experiences any problems, it is the duty of the DBA to identify and rectify the problem as quickly as possible.
It is therefore important to seek the services of a DBA to ensure that data is managed effectively. If you get your data exposed to unauthorized persons, they might end up using that data to your disadvantage. It is advisable to ensure that all database security measures are undertaken to maintain and restore the reputation and integrity of a company. The advancement in technology has come to the rescue of many companies in terms of data storage, security, and management.